2020 marks the 700th anniversary of the 1320 Declaration of Arbroath. In this period Arbroath Abbey and the town that grew up around it was right at the heart of Scotland’s power and politics. The Declaration travelled to Arbroath gaining support on its way until it was floated off from Arbroath Harbour to the Pope in Avignon on the 6th April 1320.
Now regarded as an eloquent statement on freedom, the document sows the seeds for the first ideas of democracy. This is our starting point for the Arbroath 2020 Festival.
A six month long festival programme of high profile events, specially commissioned cultural and creative projects all supported by an array of activity generated through the community programme. Come and visit Arbroath in 2020, the place to be.
Main Festival Programme
There are many of ways you can get involved in the festival whether you want to participate in our events or create your own.
- Join the Arbroath 2020 procession
- Sing as part of the Celebratory Concert
- Submit your events to the website
- Sign up to be a volunteer on projects and community events
- Become an Arbroath 2020 Ambassador to help make this an exceptional and memorable year for your town
- Submit an application to the Arbroath 2020 Artist bursary
Arbroath lies on the North Sea coast of Scotland, around 16 miles ENE of Dundee and 45 miles SSW of Aberdeen. The town is served by main line transport links and is less than two hours travel from Edinburgh and Glasgow.